Noise from neighbours is a common source of the disturbance. Most reports are about loud music, dogs barking, banging doors and DIY activities. Remember that no house or flat is totally soundproof. We must all live within the constraints of our individual homes.

Garden noise and activities in the garden can also have an effect on neighbours. Everyone can expect some noise from those that live around them.

Noise-related issues are generally not considered to be anti-social behaviour. They are often lifestyle issues and your neighbour may not be aware they are being noisy. Having a polite conversation with your neighbour may help the situation. If you are worried about speaking with your neighbour, you can download our Dear Neighbour card. We can also provide you with further support.

If, however, noise becomes persistent (several times a week for at least 30 minutes), please contact us or report it to us. Depending on the type of noise, the steps you can take to resolve this are:

  • We can support you by referring you to an independent mediation service. This is often a good way of dealing with anti-social behaviour. It can also help neighbours see each other’s point of view.
  • You can complete an anti-social behaviour diary with dates and times of the incidents  which will help us to help identify the frequency of the noise.
  • You can use the Noise App to record the noise.
  • You can contact your local Environmental Health team.

Arguing and shouting

If you have concerns about the welfare of a neighbour or someone in their household, you should contact the police or your local Social Services Safeguarding team, as your neighbour may need help.

If the arguing and shouting iss persistent-please contact us or you can report this to us.


Pets provide support and company to their owners. Although it is natural for dogs to bark when it is happening persistently or at night, it can be annoying and upsetting.

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of a neighbour's pet, then please contact the RSPCA.

If the noise from a pet becomes persistent, we may consider this to be anti-social behaviour so please contact us or you can report this to us.

Loud music

We want everyone to enjoy their home and to not be disturbed by loud music.

If you feel you are being disturbed, then we would suggest you contact your local Environmental Health team. If they are taking action against your neighbour, then this as evidence.

If this noise is persistent (several times a week for at least 30 minutes) or during the night (11pm to 7am) then please keep a record by completing our anti-social behaviour diary and report this to us.