Domestic abuse

If you are a victim of domestic abuse and wish to speak to someone about this, please call us.

For customers in Somerset and West of England

Call 01934 526 000

For customers in Devon and Cornwall

Call 0300 123 8080.

You can also complete our online reporting form and let us know what time is best to call you back.

We know that if you are currently experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse you understand what being isolated and frightened feels like. It can be very worrying being in lockdown with someone who is harming you. We want to give you information to help you think about what you might do over the coming weeks to stay safe. You are not alone, there are many services continuing to work to support all people impacted by domestic abuse.

Remember you are an expert in your own situation and only take on advice that feels safe and relevant to you. It is important to try and think about the things that may change or make you more unsafe, especially thinking through now how you might get help if you need it. You can survive this, you have the strength to keep yourself and your family safe.

Can you find space and time to contact family, friends and neighbours?

  • Can you FaceTime or call someone you trust?
  • Can you talk to them about what’s happening and how that concerns you?
  • Arrange for this trusted person to call you regularly so you know they will be in touch at certain times of the week
  • Work out a code word or phrase between you to let them know it isn’t safe to talk and for them to call the police on your behalf
  • If you can, download phone apps which will help you. The Brightsky app will help you find domestic abuse services, you can also use this to record notes and make a journal and the Hollie Guard app turns your smartphone into a personal safety device
  • If you are not self-isolating make the excuse there are no online shopping slots available so you need go to the shops, use the Bright Sky app. and speak to someone in your local domestic abuse service about what is happening, they can help you if you have to leave in an emergency, as well as support you discreetly if you remain living at home
  • 'Ask for ANI' at Boots pharmacies.

If you, or someone you know, is in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police. Silent calls will work if you are not safe to speak – use the Silent Solution system and call 999 and then press 55 when prompted.

If you can’t use a voice phone, you can register with the police text service - text REGISTER to 999.  You will get a text which tells you what to do next.  Do this when it is safe so you can text when you are in danger. To find out more about this click here.

If you are worried that a neighbour or friend is suffering domestic abuse, please report this to the police by calling them on 999 or 101. You can also report this to us using our online reporting form.

Cover your tracks online

If you are worried about someone knowing you have visited this website please read Cover your tracks safety information from Women's Aid here.

Further support

You can get further support and advice from the following organisations:

You can also download the Bright Sky app which will give you advice about local support in your area.

We are committed to supporting people who have suffered domestic abuse and have signed up to the Chartered Institute of Housing's (CIH) Make a Stand campaign.

To view our ASB policy and short animation which helps explain what we can help with, click here.