Swapping your home

You can swap your rented home with someone else who has a home with us, a home with another housing association or a home with a local council. This is called a mutual exchange.

Please speak to us if you’d like to swap your home, as you need our permission, as well as permission from the other landlord.

How to swap your home

You'll need to register with one of the following services to be able to swap your home. 

  • House exchange (free to LiveWest customers) 1.4 million social housing customers use this website free of charge through a network of partner landlords. There are in the region of 1,200 swaps a month nationwide found through House Exchange and we have over 60,000 people actively looking for a home on the website.  
  • Homeswapper (this is free to LiveWest customers). It’s easy to register and you’ll see homes in your area and across the UK. There are thousands of potential swaps available every week, and you can search and get match alerts by email and text. There’s a forum to share information and over 27,000 homes registered to swap. 
  • UK home swap (you have to pay to register).  

You’ve found a home to swap so what now?

When you’ve found someone to swap with, please give us a call and we'll talk you through the next steps. Remember:

  • There are different types of tenancies, so make sure you don’t lose out by moving home - speak to us about it first.
  • Don’t move before you’ve been given permission and before the paperwork’s been signed by everyone involved.
  • You will need to arrange and pay for the move yourself once we’ve given permission.
  • If the home you move into is in a poor condition, you’ll be responsible for damage caused by the previous person.

We’ll need to have a look around your home and meet with you and the person you want to swap with. We’ll send you a letter to say if the swap can go ahead. This can take a few weeks while we cover everything with the landlord. 

There are times when you won’t be able to swap, such as:

  • You have a starter tenancy.
  • The home you want to move into is too small or too big for your personal circumstances.
  • You have rent arrears.
  • You or the person you are swapping with has not kept to the terms of the tenancy agreement.

For more more useful information on swapping your home please read our leaflet here.